Monday, January 14, 2008

Insomnia

I've long been an insomniac.  I think.

Insomnia is a hard one to pin down for me.  I'm sure that there is an official definition somewhere in the psychologist's handbook.  I just define it as "Those times when I want to sleep but I can't."  However, it seems to me that a lot of those times happen when I'm trying to go to bed at what other people call a 'normal' time.  I'll lie in bed for hours, just thinking or daydreaming.  (Er, nightdreaming.) 

Most of my life, this hasn't been much of a problem. In fact, I think it's led to a lot of the habits that turned me into a writer.  Plus, if I'm having A LOT of trouble sleeping, I get up and do something else until I'm tired.  That can take hours, but since I don't have a day job, I can sleep in if I want.  No big deal. 

The longer I've done this, the more I've realized that I rarely get insomnia if I'm consistently going to bed later at night, like around three or for am.  Perhaps it's the regularity of the schedule..  Or, maybe the hour is important, and my body just likes to sleep from four to noon instead of normal hours. 

The problem with this all is that it can be very difficult to get things done if get onto a schedule where you're sleeping seven to three, particularly if you have a family (which I now do.)  My sickness last week (which I'm over with; thanks for all your good wishes) immediately sent me into a sleep during the day, be up at night schedule.  Didn't get back on a slightly normal one again until today, when I managed to get up at 12:30.  I spent most of last week either feeling really sick or feeling like I hadn't gotten anything done in FOREVER.  So it was that somehow I managed to do a full-blown rewrite of ALCATRAZ 3, which was on my plate still (note the percentage bars on the website.)  I'm happy to have managed to clear that away, though I do have to admit that I haven't gotten as deep into the Wheel of Time yet as I'd like to. 

My worry is that, when I start AMoL in the next month or two, I want to be DEEPLY entrenched in Mr. Jordan's world again.  More and more lately, that's meant getting everything else taken care of completely.  I want to be able to read WoT in a way that will bend my style toward Mr. Jordan's--but, with that as my goal, I don't want to be thinking about other books of mine during that time, lest I let them be influenced too much by Mr. Jordan's way of writing.  (Not that it would be bad for me to learn a few things from Mr. Jordan.  I just don't want to do it unintentionally.  Writers have the danger of letting their styles imitate directly what they're reading at the time, and while I intend to do this on purpose with AMoL, it would be wrong to do this to my other works.)

So, the second point of this whole rant?  I'm about fifteen percent through a 4.0 rewrite of WARBREAKER, which is the very last thing on my 'to do' list alongside writing A MEMORY OF LIGHT.  I'm really digging the changes to the text so far, though I don't know if they're big enough for most readers to notice.  Anyway, I should have 4.0 ready for download by the end of the week.  Then, I'll start doing updates on my thoughts of WoT as I read it through some of the books for what I believe is the eighth or ninth time.

New Annotations tomorrow, I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home