Monday, June 02, 2008

Two Super Huge Announcements

Mistborn: The Well of Ascension is now out in paperback!  (Yes, Amazon has the wrong cover.  The real cover art is below.) Also out is the new $4.99 version of Mistborn: The Final Empire, which also has the brand new, beautiful cover art on it.

well of ascension

As I've said before on the blog, the initial week sales on a book are the single most important factor in determining its shelf life and the push it (and future books) gets from several important forces in publishing.  So, if you've been waiting to pick up a copy of book two until the paperback was out (or waiting for book one to get the promotional edition) then your wait is over!  This promotional copy of Mistborn One includes a coupon for $5 off of Mistborn Three in hardcover, so it's a great investment, if you're planning to buy the third book.  In fact, might I offer the humble suggestion that if you've been thinking of sharing the book with a friend, you could grab this and claim the coupon for yourself, then get your money back with Mistborn Three!  (Not that I advocate ripping pages out of books you intend to give as gifts, but hey, this is a special case.)

Anyway, I'd love to post some images of the floor display Tor has said they're sending out to Borders stores.  I'm not certain exactly when they'll go up, or even IF they'll go up, but I sure would appreciate a snapshot via camera phone if anyone spots one of them.  As a note, it's going to be much easier to find the $4.99 Mistborn at Borders stores, as they're pushing the book a lot more.  B&N still has had troubles getting on the Brandon Sanderson bandwagon, as we found out last year when Mistborn 2 sold out of their stores in about a week because of under-ordering.  Ah, well.  I can't complain too much.  The stores I've visited treat me very well, and glitches like this are just part of the computer era. 

And...I guess that you're wanting the other super huge announcement.  The folks at the studio told me I could mention the deal on my blog once I had signed the contracts, so I've got the okay.  We'll do a true press release and all that business in the coming weeks, but for those of you reading here, I can give you an early heads up.  The book I mentioned last week is ALCATRAZ VERSUS THE EVIL LIBRARIANS.  It has been optioned by Dreamworks Animation, though I can't go into details about who is working on the project at the moment, I've been very impressed with the work of the director and producer involved.

As you may know, an option is still a far cry from a movie actually being released in theaters.  Still, the team working on this is very good, and we're hopeful.  A lot fewer properties get optioned in animation than do in live action, as it requires a lot more of an investment of time and energy to produce your average animated feature.  Therefore, once something does get optioned, the chances of it seeing the screen are much better than they are in live action.

I'll post updates as I can.  We HAVE had offers and interest on both ELANTRIS and MISTBORN, but so far, nothing has come together on those projects.  Along with that news, I think it's interesting that a blog asked me for an interview a few weeks back asking what my vision for my books turned into film would be.  It was fun to speculate some 'best of' circumstances

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home