Tuesday, March 02, 2010

THE WAY OF KINGS cover by Michael Whelan, I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER book trailer, Fan Sites + Updates

Tor.com has released Michael Whelan's cover art for THE WAY OF KINGS.

They also have sketches and design commentary from Whelan himself. Go check it out. I think the cover is awesome—for more from me on it than that, wait for the blog entry I wrote up for Tor.com to post. I imagine it should go up in a few days.

I do plan to post here about THE WAY OF KINGS in the near future. In the meantime, there's a new fan page for The Stormlight Archive over on Facebook. There's also a Stormlight Archive fan site starting up over at Roshar.net. And not to be outdone, the Mistborn fandom has spawned a new fan site at Luthadel.net. (I'm not involved in any of these sites, but I love seeing the fans set things up like this.)

In the most recent MISTBORN 3 annotations, I talk about spacing out character climaxes, betrayal and trust, and Ruin's methodology.

In this week's Writing Excuses, Howard, Dan, and I are joined by writer Jessica Day George to talk about working with editors. Go give it a listen.

And speaking of Dan Wells, his book I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER comes out in the US at the end of this month. Here's what I said about the book a year ago:

Some books are exciting. Some books are intriguing. Some are exhilarating, others moving, and still others deeply disturbing. I've rarely found a book that fit all of these descriptions at once, and never have I read one that mixes each emotion together as thoroughly as I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER.

While reading this novel, I felt like I did when I first discovered Lovecraft. The beauty of the prose, mixed with the depth of characterization, gave the haunting, first person narrative a human touch that I don't always discover in horror novels. Yet I savor it when I do, for the finest horror is the most human of all genres.

It's difficult to tie down I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER. On one hand, it's a character study that inspects the mind of a teenage sociopath. On the other, it's an old fashioned murder mystery with a supernatural edge. Neither of those concepts convey the wit of the prose or the brilliance of the story's great dilemma. Which is more alien? The monster with the heart of a man or the man with the heart of a monster? In short, I can only say this: Read the book. Regardless of your age or your genre preferences, you will find this story both profound and enthralling.

This is as true today as it was back then, and the series only gets better. Check out this book trailer that Tor has released; I think it speaks for itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home